A Continued Balance

See this?
This is the line.
The line between
Then and now,
Down and up.
The line of balance
I constantly walk.
But I keep getting tripped up.
I'm just a clumsy tightrope walker
Hoping the net will catch me in time.

See this line?
I walk it
And you
You thinking I'm amazing-
Oh look at her, so responsible
So calm
Reliable
Sweet-
Until I go tumbling off the edge
Then it's all-
Why do you obsess
Worry
Stress
Overthink
Why why why-
Why.
Because that moment when I tumble through the air
Before my skin strikes net,
I am flying.
I am the perfect movie heroine,
The graceful, mysterious woman,
The adventurous, delicious thing
That enamors you.

I am self-realized,
I can see with these
Real eyes.
And sure-
Maybe I didn't so much as fall
As throw myself off
With full reckless abandon
Like I was sliding into home plate for the tie breaker during that final inning,
Not giving a thought about the pain and humiliation the plate-  the downer-  the net
will bring
Cause, hey, at least I flew,
At least I knew more than mediocrity if but for a moment,
At least my existence had some kind of crescendo to the score-
Who cares if it was more of a cacophony.

And as I continue to put on this circus performance,
Some days choosing to keep up the balancing act,
Others deciding to fly free,
I'm always the tiniest bit wary
Of the day when the net finally gives way to the flat ground below.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Masochists Anonymous

Roadtrips

YOU ARE SHALLOW! or settling...